Saturday, March 21, 2009

Luck, coincidence, or God?

Since my decision to go to Juarez with my son was rather recent, I didn't have time to do any sort of fund raising to pay for our expenses. And in fact, I gave Lorna (part of our leadership team) a check at church on Sunday for Cameron and I. We didn't have a specific amount that we had to pay but I thought I had been generous with what I gave.

After I gave Lorna the check, I had this sense that I needed to give more - that what I gave wasn't so generous after all. In my experience, this is how God talks to me - a sense or feeling to do something that I hadn't planned on doing. Our team had gone up to get prayed for during the second service and when I came back to my seat, I tried to talk to my wife Carlotta about this sense I had to give more. But the worship had started and it wasn't a good time to talk it through so she said to do what ever I thought was right. So I wrote another check and gave it to Lorna.

When we got home from church, I told Carlotta that I now felt like I maybe gave too much. There was no way I could call Lorna and ask her to rip up the second check, so I let it go.

Fast forward to today; I got an email from a friend telling me that a check was coming in the mail from a settlement for a civil action we were a part of (long story - we had money stolen from us by an escrow company after selling real estate). How much is the check for? It's $10 more than the checks I gave to Lorna at church on Sunday! All I can say is "wow"! Isn't that just like our God? You can never out give him. And obviously, I don't think this was luck or a coincidence.

What an encouragement as we getting ready to leave in just over 30 hours. Thank you God!

2 comments:

  1. Calvin,

    Your story is truly a blessing. This morning, I shared your story with my youngest daughter and we are both praying for the safety of you and your team as well as the people of Juarez. We will be monitoring your blog regularly to learn about your experiences and about the people you meet on your journey. As for your experience today regarding the check that you just learned about. I believe that God works in mysterious ways and while I do not understand why different people are in the situations they are in, I believe fervently that there is a reason for everything and above all that God is always on time. Thank you for sharing your story.

    Bless you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roxanne - thank you praying for us. What a blessing to have Christians all over praying for us! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete